HISTORY OF TWIN CEDARS

In 1939, Max and Leona Otto arrived in the USA from Germany and purchased the land that Twin Cedars is built on. The Otto’s were farmers and lived in a 13 room farm house on the property while utilizing their land as a dairy farm. The Otto’s raised animals and harvested blueberries on the land surrounding their farm. In 1949, their farmhouse burnt down in the middle of the night and the Otto’s managed to escape unharmed. With no place else to go, the Otto’s moved their family into the stockyard butchery adjacent to the dairy barn. Over time they converted the butchery into acceptable living quarters and raised their family.

Max and Leona Otto’s daughter, Linda, grew up on the farm and eventually married Bruce Harding. Linda had grown up caring for her grandmother in their home and pursued a career in nursing, and her husband Bruce became a nursing home Administrator. Their vision together was to create a loving home environment where people would be cared for through their loving hands with the highest quality of care.

Twin Cedars was built through Bruce and Linda’s religious prayer over a nineteen year period of time and through the donations and assistance of many friends and neighbors in the community. The Harding’s were convinced their land was blessed and members of the community donated their time to assist in the design, construction and interior aesthetics of the facility.

In 1990, phase one of Twin Cedars was constructed. The original dairy barn still stands today as the activity center, and the old silo foundation is buried beneath it’s floor. The original milk house is now the Administrator’s office. The resident’s bedrooms, living and dining rooms were built in the dairy farm’s night pasture. In 2000, a new wing was added to Twin Cedar’s to accommodate ten additional resident bedrooms.

In 2010, the Harding’s decided they wanted to retire and sell Twin Cedars after 22 years. Instead of listing Twin Cedar’s with a real estate broker, they went to church and prayed for 30 days for a buyer. On the thirtieth day, a letter arrived in the mail to the Harding’s at Twin Cedars from a young lady who wished to buy the facility and was inquiring if the Harding’s wanted to sell. The Harding’s were convinced that this young lady was sent from God to purchase the facility and to continue their vision and lifelong commitment to caring for seniors. In July, 2011 Ms. Tamara Singer took ownership of Twin Cedar’s.